Friday, August 30, 2013

a plea to those who HAVE

We live in a culture run by a clock and deadlines. I watch countless people weave in and out of traffic during rush hour and those who just barely make it through that yellow-turning-red light. They can't wait the 1-2 minutes it would take for that light to change back to green. They have somewhere to be and they're running late.

We give ourselves just enough time.

I'm guilty of this. I know when I have to get out of bed in the morning to have enough time to get to work. I don't like living this way but I do. But, I want to change.

Maybe if we weren't so rushed we'd notice the sunrise and the sunset. We'd see the beauty that is all around us. We'd invest in relationships instead of things that don't last.

As I drove home from work, I listened to one of the hosts on K-LOVE talk about his recent trip with World Vision and how he was having a difficult time readjusting after all he saw. He was heart broken when he thought of his dog, sitting on his lap in his home. His dog had shelter, food, clean water. When his dog was sick it got medical attention. And he now knew it cost more to take care of his dog than it did to support a child through World Vision.

Now this is not a campaign for World Vision, though I'm proud to support a young girl named Hannah in Malawi.

This is a reminder that we have. We have what we need. We have the ability to enjoy the world around us when we're not cutting it close, running late to work, and running a red late to make it.

And as the Lord would have it (after this post was already written), I ended dinner with my Mom tonight by opening a fortune cookie and reading what was inside:


Time flies.
Suns rise and shadows fall.
Let time go by.
Love is forever over all.

May my heart always remember that all I have is of the Lord and to cherish the time He gives. And may my lips remember the words of Jacob "Please, take my blessing that is brought to you, because God has dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough.” Genesis 33:11

No comments:

Post a Comment